Monday, October 18, 2004

Why is the National Guard in Iraq anyway?

My impression since my brother joined the national guard was that people in the national guard were not into the military like people in the other branches. They were weekend warriors that really didn't want to make more of a commitment than that.

And now they are in Iraq because our "normal" military is understaffed.

That hits me as no way to run a war and horribly unfair to the national guard. They should be at home in the US waiting for the next riot in LA or the next hurricane in Florida. Bring them home.

I also hate that the government is keeping the soldiers in Iraq beyond their scheduled time. How many deaths has that lead to? The military is comprised of volunteers, we shouldn't be screwing them---essentially saying, "OK we know you are supposed to go home to see your family this month, but we are keeping you another year." Soldiers don't need the goverment fucking with them as they are trying to accomplish their objectives and stay alive.

If we need more soldiers, hire more soldiers. Don't screw the ones we have. (And the reality is we have needed more soldiers in Iraq from day 1. Almost every interview with military personell I have seen they reiterate that fact.)

The reality is that there are a number of areas in the US that are poor and poorly educated where the people will bite on patriotic jingoism and propaganda combined with a few complimentary words from an army recruiter and join the military. If even those people don't want to be soldiers fighting in this stupid war, then maybe we shouldn't be fighting this war!

This is a simplistic arguement. I acknowledge that. I hope you might read my spots on Iran (and the links to articles Iran) to get a more compelling arguement as to why we don't need to be in Iraq.

I wrote this because I do feel our soldiers are being screwed by the Bush administration on top of everything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home