Saturday, October 16, 2004

Final debate

I am a little behind on the debate reviews.

I watched the second half of the final debate after getting home late. I thought both candidates did a pretty good job, but I feel that Kerry won the debate.

Kerry was consistently presidential and seemed quite knowledgeable. Bush seemed competent most of the time, but there were a handful of times where he didn't want to answer the question posed because he knew his answers might be unpopular, so he just talked about other things, like his education reforms. Kerry was not that evasive. He competently answered all of the questions that I saw posed to him, so in my mind he looked more honest.

Bush did not look awful though. He had a few moments were he seemed genuinely earnest and straight forward. If the moments were consistent throughout the debate I think he might have had a good shot at winning the debate.

When he talked about his religion he seemed very forthcoming and genuine. There were also a few other instances where he really seemed to communicate how much he cares about America. I don't feel that he has been that honest in his first term or as forthcoming, so it is too little, too late.

But I do think he did very well. This to me was his best debate this year.

Now after the fact I was disappointed in how many of the statements Kerry made that were false. (I don't hold Bush to that standard even though he also made many untrue statements because Bush has proven ---at least to me---a willingness to lie to get his way.) Bush has created an unimpressive enough resume for himself that no opponent needs to fabricate lies. I think that Kerry might find a slight drop in the polls as people get around to investigating his statements. I think they might cost him some credibility points.

If you want to discover which statements are accurate and truthful, factcheck.org is a useful, independent site.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home