Saturday, September 11, 2004

Adventure: Car Repair

Back story:

In July, I was given an old 1984 BMW which I have been slowly restoring. A couple months ago, I took the car into a place I go that specializes in automotive electrical wiring to have them look at the electrical system. While I was in there, they offered to try to bring up the air conditioning system as they felt pretty comfortable with their ability to get it running. Living in Texas where it is hot and having a little extra money, I said sure. They spent a few hours working on getting power to the components and checking out the cooling system. Then they discovered the compressor was failing and that there was a problem with the switch unit that launches the compressor. So I was billed $400 for their work, but they provided me with a quote for $145 to install a replacement used compressor and a new switch.

Well 2 weeks ago I finally had the free money to take care of that. I called the auto place and advised them I was ready to do this and they said they would look around for the part. I called them back yesterday and advised them I wanted to do it today. They said that would be fine, that they would call around and get a part.

Today:

So this morning I decided to head down to Pick and Pull (a huge Dallas Junkyard) and pull some replacement seats for my car. (my car is a 318I---a great car, but the seats do not age well...).

I called the autoplace and advised that I would be down to drop off the car around noon as I was going to the junkyard. The guy I deal with at the shop told me, "Great, call me when you get there."

????

So I head down to the junkyard and I call him. He tells me, "Hey, go ahead and pick up a compressor while you are down there."

Now I didn't know what a compressor was---in fact, I spent most of my time wandering the junkyard in the Texas midday heat trying to remember if it was a compressor or a condensor I was looking for, so I could ask someone to identify the part.

Eventually, one sunburn to deep farmer's tan later, I was on my way to the auto shop with a compressor in tow. I paid $80 for it.

On reaching the autoshop, I was advised that i had chosen a working condensor, but it had a lot of rust in it. Oh, and that it may somehow be leaking freon. The repair guy said he probably wouldn't have a problem getting it working. He was able to get it installed, but it ran noisily---sounding to me just like the compressor they had deemed to be failing. They advised me that they would need to vacuum all the air out of the system for about 2 hours and then fill it with coolant. At this point it was 5 PM and I had to go to the airport to get my brother. I advised them that I could bring the car back in tomorrow, but the repair guy said it would only take 5 minutes to charge the system.

????

I paid them $135 to get the compressor installed and to fill the system with freon. I left the shop really angry. Instead of the $145 I was quoted, I paid $215, had to find my own part, killed a day looking for it and removing it, it was not properly vaccuumed and recharged, AND it seems likely that I didn't get a compressor that much better than the one it replaces!

It annoys me that I let myself be taken advantage of like that. Never again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home